Saturday, January 10, 2009

better late than never...

I had great intentions when I started this blog to keep a record of my pregnancy to maybe help someone or myself who was going through the same issues. But when things started to go a little south, I didn't really want to talk about it, write about it, or really anything about it. Not denial, just introspection.
Well, my son is now 6 months old, and everything is just fine. There were no genetic abnormalities, no developmental defects; he's perfect (and seriously cute). But I would like to continue to catalog motherhood as a diabetic mom as well. There are a few unique challenges to it, as well as the same challenges all moms face.
But first, a quick recap:
I had a great pregnancy on paper, but in reality it was wrought with worries and exhaustion. I drove two hours twice (sometimes 3 times) a week into doctor's appointments for the last few months (before that once a week, before that every other week), which mostly went fine but his size was always a bit questionable, which evidently can be a sign of all sorts of problems...or he could just be small. The last few weeks my blood pressure was way too high and I gained 14 pounds of water in 2 weeks (yes, I was pretty), so I was confined to the couch, but fortunately not the hospital. Again, on paper, this doesn't sound so bad, and it certainly could have been worse, but it was wearing. Four days before I was due to be induced, we went in for our last BPP (biophysical profile) and not only was my blood pressure even higher, but the baby was not moving much and was not doing the practice breathing. We went to labor and delivery to be hooked to a fetal monitor, and his heart rate was non-reactive (normally a baby's heart rate fluctuates a bit, reacting to its environment). We had a choice to either induce then with an emergency c-section a strong possibility, or go ahead with a c-section. We chose the c-section on our doctor's recommendation (this made even more attractive to me as I had just found out that, due to an old back fracture from a horse, I could not have an epidural--yikes!). All the doctors and nurses at Georgetown were incredible, and James was born very healthy, but small. 5 lbs, 14oz. Everything was great. I healed fast, James was nursing great, milk came in quickly, we were tired and happy.
So that's pretty much catching up through birth. I'll have to catch up on the rest later. Needless to say, we were thrilled at the outcome, and so relieved. A lot has happened since then, and continues to happen, so I'm going to keep playing catch up while keeping up with the current!

No comments: